What do United Methodists Believe?
We are a people of diversity. We believe:
- in God's grace. Grace is the beautiful free gift of God's love for every person. It is love you cannot work to gain but only accept and share.
- in the dignity and responsibility of all persons. All persons are our sisters and brothers, and we work to bring them to the love of Christ, and to bring about justice & equality.
- in conversion and new birth. A change does happen in people if they turn away from selfishness and sin and experience the love of Christ.
- faith & good works belong together. John Wesley called people to action born out of a heart aflame with Christ's love.
- in a connectional and an ecumenical
Decisions are done after consultation with four different guides:
1. Scripture - The Bible is not a rule book, but does tell us who we are, who God is, and also who we are supposed to be. Life is a gift from God, to be lived wisely and with joy
2. Tradition - what did Church people who came before you do and learn?
3. Experience - What does your experience tell you? How have past events & decisions turned out?
4. Reason - Use your mind. Think decisions through for yourself. You are the one who will have to answer